It was in 1976 when addressing a group of doctors, His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi, the Sankaracharya of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam spoke of the need to create a hospital with a missionary spirit.
His words marked the beginning of a long journey to do God's own work.
On the command of His Holiness, Dr. Sengamedu Srinivasa Badrinath, along with a group of philanthropists founded a charitable not-for-profit eye hospital...
One that would bring world-class eye care to the people of India. One that would adopt a single standard of care for all, rich or poor. One that would share the fruits of its knowledge and spread its concept of care to distant parts of this country.
On the auspicious day of Vinayaka Chaturthi, the sixth day of September in the year 1978, the hospital came into existence.
It was named Sankara Nethralaya, which means "The Temple of the Eye". The long journey for vision with a mission began.
Sankara Nethralaya today has grown into a super specialty institution for ophthalmic care and receives patients from all over the country and abroad. It has gained international excellence and is acclaimed for its quality care and compassion. The Sankara Nethralaya family today has over 1400 individuals with one vision